Sunday, January 20, 2008

Today plays

Last weekend my wife, my son, and I went on a short record buying roadtrip to a small town in southern minnesota. (I'm deliberately being vague, because I'll definitely be going back.)

This gentleman has 30,000 records in his climate controlled basement. I'd say that at least 3 or 4,000 are 78's, another 2,000 are some thick shellac things I've never seen before, and the remainder are 45's and LP's.

He said that all records are $1, except polka. I bought 27 records, including 3 sealed RCA Victor red seals. However, I'm most pleased so far with some of the offbeat records such as

Taboo "the exotic sounds of arthur lyman"

This is a fantastic record. Some amazing drum subtlety, and dramatic passages. This single record made driving around semi-lost on county roads for 45 minutes worth it.

No comments: