Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Pass Pearl Phono Preamp

I built this phono preamp almost two years ago now. I've had a couple of issues with the power supply and hum (only appears when I close up the case).

but when that case is open, it makes music like I've never heard before.

Originally I put it away because an open power supply with lots of extra cabling floating around isn't child friendly, and I had given some thought about moving away from a turntable only system. I purchased a Professional Studio Engineering "Studio One" preamp to replace it. Last night, after a friend of mine said he would be interested in taking the pearl off my hands, we had a listen.

I almost cried when I heard the difference. insert audiophilia rambling about clarity here. We dropped some Oscar Peterson and there was a piano in the room. (Okay, there was already a piano in the room, but now it sounded like someone was playing it!)

Anyhow, I don't know if I can let this go. Maybe it's time to move on?

No comments: